I always like to see what other people use so...starting from the bottom up:
1. Shoes. I went to a 'real' running store back in February and bought my first pair. These expensive suckers don't seem to last long. I've tried a few pairs. Right now, I'm alternating between Saucony Ride 2 and Newton's (I anticipate a separate post in the future regarding shoes and my opinions so far on these and how I even ended up with them).
2. Socks. Alternate between Fox River and Balega. Fox River is a brand my parents swear by so all of these have come in the form of gifts and I have mostly from the XT collection. They were converted to the brand a few years ago. I love them too but picked up a few lighter pairs of the Balega socks to try for summer.
3. Shorts. I have 4 pairs of running shorts and they are all black and white...boring. One pair from Target, one pair of Under Armour and 2 pairs of these from Road Runner Sports (B-Day gift from hubby). I like the ones for RR Sports. They have lots of pockets and are comfy.
4. Hydration Belt. I only use this on long runs. I was shocked at the prices on these things when I first started looking. This one ended up being a birthday gift as well. I wasn't sure I'd like it since it's one, big single bottle but it's been OK. The only problem is I have to really tighten the belt so it doesn't bounce around. It has lots of pockets which is nice.
5. Tank Tops. Pretty much whatever I've gotten as a gift or the ones I've bought at Wal-Mart from the Danskin line I'm a fan of the tight, wicking ones with built in sports bra.
6. Sports Bra. Cheap ones from Target. Always do one of these plus the tank with the built in sports bra and that seems to do the trick.
7. Garmin. Forerunner 305. When I started running, I didn't even know these things were in existence. I love it so much now!
8. MP3 Player. For years, I've had a 1st generation iPod Shuffle. I love that thing and it's never quit on me. I'm oddly attached to it for some reason but I have finally stopped carrying it around with me. Got a cheapy player from K-Mart with a clip. I really like the Sansa Clip I got my husband last year and figure I'll be getting one of those soon to replace the piece of crap I bought. There are times when I just really shouldn't be so damn cheap!
9. Sunglasses. I bought a pair of Nascar sunglasses from K-Mart. I look like an absolute moron in them and I know hubby wouldn't ever want to be seen with me when I have these on but they do the trick.
10. Headband. I always need a headband to keep my hair back plus I use them to keep my over-the-ear headphones in place. I must have odd ears because I can never get any headphones to stay in place. I've found that using the over-the-ear kind and tucking behind the headband does the trick though.
Am I missing anything you consider a must-have?